Our Electric Bikes
Cycling well in excess of 16,000km across the UK and Europe requires a reliable, solid electric bicycle that can handle the task.
During their World Record Electric Bike Long Distance Ride, The E-Bike Cycle Tourists have been riding two Haibike xDuro Trekking RX electric bikes featuring the revolutionary Bosch performance crank drive motor.
The Haibike 700c xDuro Trekking e-Bike has proven to be ideal for touring, commuting, trekking or road riding styles. It features top-of-the-range equipment and a low rolling resistance, which makes it ideal for everyone from the everyday cyclist through to an arduous crack at the world long distance electric bike record.
The 2016 Haibike xDuro Trekking RX e-bike also features the latest Bosch Performance CX crank drive motor, so you can be sure it’s set up for optimum performance. The new 250w CX system outputs 75Nm of torque & peaks at 500w!
The motor certainly packs a punch, with 300% of assistance available in turbo mode. The Trekking model features 4 levels of assistance and rolls just the same as a normal bicycle. In fact the quality in the design, geometry & build make it a true performer! The 2016 model Haibike Trekking RX features the brand new Bosch 500Wh PowerPack Battery which provides the most range possible on a Bosch powered electric trekking bike.
For 2016 the Trekking RX upgrades to full Shimano XT. The new 11 speed drive train offers a whopping 11-42t gear range which means it’s not just one extra gear you get over 10 speed, but in fact a far wider range spread over 11 gears.
Importantly the Shimano XT system offers a clutch system to keep the chain under tension, so chain clatter is now a thing of the past. It also makes gear changes smooth and fast. You can now forget about sloppy changes, the XT offers precise and perfect shifting.
The final product is an e-bike that offers a fully versatile gear system that ensures you can climb as well as you can descend. Couple this with the fast stopping Tektro Gemini hydraulic disc brakes and it is possible to pull up hard when you come to a stop in any weather conditions. The brakes offer minimal maintenance and fuss. The pads last double the time of a standard V brake pad, are self cleaning and offer superior amounts of stopping power.
Haibike Trekking e-bikes also come with lots of other essential goodies required for long distance Touring, Trekking and Commuting. The RX comes with full length mudguards front and rear, a pannier rack, side stand, comfy grips and a touring saddle. It also features built in LED lights for low light riding. Haibike use a strong wheel set made up of XLC hubs & DT Swiss alloy double wall rims and spokes. This offers a lightweight but strong option for everyday cycling.
Bosch performance crank drive motor
The heart of the 2016 model Haibike xDuro Trekking RX electric bike is the Bosch performance crank drive motor which is guaranteed to provide optimum performance.
The new 2016 modelTrekking RX 2016 eBike also features the latest Bosch Performance CX crank drive motor. The new 250w CX system outputs 75Nm of torque & peaks at 500w! The four levels of assistance – eco, tour, sport and turbo – certainly pack a punch and are guaranteed to provide maximum assistance no matter what terrain you are cycling over.
In fact the quality in the design, geometry & build make the RX a true performer! The Haibike Trekking RX features the brand new Bosch 500Wh PowerPack Battery for 2016 so it provides the best range possible on a Bosch powered electric trekking bike.
The E-bike Cycle Tourists’ Electric Bike World Long Distance Record Ride has a number of goals that include:
- To widely advocate the “green environmental” credentials of electric bicycle travel. People need to be educated that it is cheaper in energy costs to cycle 100+kilometres on an electric bicycle than it is to drive a car around the corner to the local supermarket.
- To prove that electric bicycles are one of the best forms of private transport – in terms of health, cost and their low impact on the environment.
- To generally increase the public’s awareness of the benefits of using an electric bicycle instead of motor powered vehicles and to show that electric bicycles are a perfectly acceptable mode of transport for people of all ages, particular for those over 50 – and even those with health or physical problems.
- To show that as a result of recent advances in technology electric bicycles are able to complete an arduous long distance challenge and are generally a reliable and extremely efficient form of urban transport.
- To promote the EuroVelo cycle route network, a project of the European Cyclists’ Federation (ECF). The EuroVelo bicycle network consists of 14 long-distance cycling routes in various stages of completion that criss-cross Europe. When fully completed in 2020 it is envisaged the network will boast 70,000-plus km of signposted purpose-built tracks.
The overall aim of the record attempt has been to expose as many people as possible throughout the world to the advantages of electric bicycles with the help of articles in newspapers, magazines, social media and the support of people we meet along the way.
The hope has been that by meeting people during the ride, blogging and getting as much media exposure as possible Gary and Rachel will have been able to showcase everything that is good about commuting – and touring – by electric bicycle.
Gary and Rachel have also wanted to show that it is even possible for people on the “wrong side of 50”, given the recent advances in electric bicycle technology, to be able to successfully complete an extended long distance cycle tour. Up until this time most people who have attempted to set a new world long distance electric bike record have predominantly been aged in their 20s and 30s.